Student & Family Services
Student Services Coordinator
|EMERGENCIES (24 HOURS)|
|National Suicide Prevention Lifeline||1-800-273-TALK (8255)|
5 Protective Factors for Strengthening Families Training Presented by USU Extension
Strong Parents, Stable Children
-Intro and Concrete Points in Times of Need
-Knowledge of Parenting & Child Development
-Social & Emotional Competence of Children
Fight the New Drug
Educating on the harmful effects of pornography for teens
Helping Teens with Social Media
Help students think through posting to social media
Eleven Ideas For Students With ADD
1. HELP ME TO FOCUS – Please teach me through my sense of touch. I need “hands on” and body movement.
2. I NEED TO KNOW WHAT COMES NEXT – Please give me a structured environment where there is a dependable routine.
3. WAIT FOR ME, I’M STILL THINKING – Please allow me to go at my own pace. If I am rushed, I get confused and upset.
4. I’M STUCK, I CAN’T DO IT! – Please offer me options for problem solving. If the road is blocked, I need to know the detours.
5. IS IT RIGHT? I NEED TO KNOW NOW – Please give me rich and immediate feedback on how I am doing.
6. I DIDN’T FORGET, I DIDN’T HEAR IT IN THE FIRST PLACE! – Please give me directions one step at a time, and ask me to say back what I think you said.
7. I DIDN’T KNOW I WASN’T IN MY SEAT! – Please remind me to stop, think, and act.
8. AM I ALMOST DONE? – Please give me short work periods with short term goals.
9. WHAT? – Please don’t say “I already told you that.” Tell me again, in different words. Give me a signal. Draw me a symbol.
10. I KNOW IT’S ALL WRONG, ISN’T IT? – Please give me praise for partial success. Reward me for self-improvement, not just for perfection.
11. BUT WHY DO I ALWAYS GET YELLED AT? – Please catch me doing something right and praise me for the specific positive behavior. Remind me about my good points when I am having a bad day.
Resource on how to cope during COVID-19:
• How to talk to your kids about COVID-19: https://www.nasponline.org/resources-and-publications/resources-and-podcasts/school-climate-safety-and-crisis/health-crisis-resources/helping-children-cope-with-changes-resulting-from-covid-19
• Talk to your child about Corornavirus: https://childmind.org/article/talking-to-kids-about-the-coronavirus/
• Mindfulness Parenting: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/going-beyond-intelligence/202001/mindfulness-parenting
• 5 Ways to Deal with emotions from Coronavirus: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/motivate/202003/5-ways-overcome-the-psychological-stress-coronavirus
• My Kid's School is Closed, so now what?: https://confidentparentsconfidentkids.org/2020/03/13/my-kids-school-is-closed-so-now-what/
• Keep your kid moving: gonoodle.com